Uber Announces New Cash Back Debit Card for Drivers
Uber is launching a cash back debit card to reward drivers for ride-related purchases. The card is issued by GoBank and is specifically designed for Uber drivers and delivery partners—those who work through Uber Eats.
The Uber debit card offers a number of rewards, including:
- 3% cash back at Exxon and Mobil gas stations (only for debit card purchases that use a PIN)
- 1.5% cash back at other gas stations
- 15% off select auto services at Jiffy Lube
- 2% cash back for Walmart purchases, including online orders
- 10% cash back at Advance Auto Parts, limited to $100 in rewards per month
- 8% cash back through Sprint for monthly bills or purchases at corporate stores
Some of these rewards are only available for a limited time, but could be renewed in the future.
Uber drivers can transfer earnings to their GoBank card for free, and can then make free ATM withdrawals through a network of 42,000 ATMs. Bank transfers to other financial institutions are limited to $1,000 per transaction and $2,500 every 30 days. However, cardholders can pay up to $5,000 in bills per day with their GoBank account, and conduct up to $5,000 per month in peer-to-peer transfers.
Uber first toyed with the idea of a co-branded credit card last summer, and eventually launched the Uber Visa Card. Unlike the debit card, this credit card is catered to riders. Users earn points for purchases that can be converted to Uber ride credits. The current rates for rewards are 4% back on dining, 3% back on airfare and lodging accommodations, 2% back on online purchases (including Uber rides), and 1% back on all other transactions.