Study Shows 1 in 6 Preteens Has a Credit Card

Study Shows 1 in 6 Preteens Has a Credit Card

July 9, 2019         Written By John H. Oldshue

According to the 2019 Parents, Kids & Money Survey from T. Rowe Price, 17% of children ages 8 to 14 now have a credit card. This is significantly up from the 2012 study, when only 4% of preteens had a credit card.

These statistics represent children who are authorized users for their parents’ credit cards. Parents remain the primary users and are ultimately held responsible for the charges to the card. Children can build their credit portfolio before turning 18 if they are connected to a positive credit card account.

Featured Prepaid Card

Top Features:

No late fees or interest charges because this is not a credit card it is a prepaid card.

In the survey, parents were asked which type of financial accounts their children had. Fifty-four percent of children had a savings account, and 52% had a piggy bank; 19% had a checking account, and 10% were linked to an investment account. Only 7% of parents said their children did not have any financial accounts.

Parents were asked how they would describe their children’s financial habits. Fifty-eight percent said their child was a saver, while 42% said their child was a spender. When asked to describe themselves, 65% of kids said they were savers. Children were also asked to describe their parents, and 80% said their parents were savers.

With regards to paying off credit card bills, 59% of parents said they handle that part of the process. The remaining 41% had their children pay the bill.

One of the biggest benefits of having a child as an authorized credit card user is the ability to teach him or her about financial literacy. As a parent, it is important to review transactions with your child and have him or her involved with the payment process. This will make the transition to credit cards easier when the child turns 18.

The information contained within this article was accurate as of July 9, 2019. For up-to-date information on any of the terms, cards or offers mentioned above, visit the issuer's website. Many of the offers on this article are from our affiliate partners, and LowCards.com may be compensated if you take action with any of our affiliate partners.

Review LowCards.com Editor’s Top Cards!

2020 Top Credit Cards by Category
Featured Prepaid Card
NetSpend® Visa® Prepaid Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Prepaid Card
NetSpend® Visa® Prepaid Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: No late fees or interest charges because this is not a credit card it is a prepaid card. 

Featured Secured Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Secured Card
Assent Platinum 0% Intro Rate Mastercard Secured Credit Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: Intro APR Offer on Purchases

Featured Fair Credit Card
Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Fair Credit Card
Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: All credit types welcome to apply!

Featured Bad Credit Card
First Digital NextGen Mastercard® Credit Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Bad Credit Card
First Digital NextGen Mastercard® Credit Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: Reports to all three credit bureaus, perfect credit not required for approval


john-oldshue

About John H. Oldshue

John Oldshue is the creator of LowCards.com. He worked for over 15 years in television and won an Emmy award for his reporting. He covers credit card rate issues for LowCards.com.