Samsung Adds New Gear S3 Smartwatch to Its Lineup
Samsung unveiled its Gear S3, a smartwatch that provides users with mobile payments, Bluetooth connectivity, water resistance and GPS.
Users will be able to complete transactions with their Gear S3 using Samsung Pay. Since the device utilizes Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) and Near Field Communication (NFC), purchases can be made at over 90% of the top 250 merchants in the United States, and transactions are secured with the Samsung Knox platform.
“With the Gear S3, we continue to build on our wearables heritage of offering diverse choices to enhance consumers’ unique lifestyles,” said Younghee Lee, Executive Vice President of Global Marketing, Mobile Communications Business at Samsung Electronics. “Samsung Gear S2 achieved meaningful progress in the smartwatch category with a personalized watch face and a versatile rotating bezel that provided an intuitive smartwatch experience. Now with the new Gear S3, we expand our Gear collection and introduce not only a great smartwatch, but a great watch. With smart capabilities and sophisticated, elegant design, the Gear S3 marks a significant addition to our smartwatch portfolio.”
Other features of the new smartwatch include:
- Two designs. The Samsung Gear S3 is available in frontier and classic designs. The frontier has a rugged outdoor look, while the classic uses the elegant style found in most timepieces.
- Customization. Users can customize the Always On display so that it compliments their style. It is also compatible with standard watchbands, so consumers can use any 22mm band. Additionally, Samsung has partnered with Arik Levy, a renowned artist and industrial designer, to create unique watch faces and bands.
- LTE connectivity. Users can receive and answer calls, send messages and use connected apps without being tethered to their smarthphone.
- GPS. The built-in GPS allows users to monitor their fitness activities, and the Alti/barometer and Speedometer allow users to track things such as distance traveled and sudden weather changes.
- Rugged construction. The device meets IP68 standards for water and dust resistance, and it features Corning® Gorilla® Glass SR+, which provides the watch with a tough, scratch resistant display.
The Gear S3 will be available in the United States later this year.