HSB First to Offer Consumer Cyber Insurance
Cybercriminals are becoming more adept at hacking into consumers’ computers and email accounts. In response, the Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company (HSB) is the first company to offer cyber protection insurance for consumers.
The company announced today that its HBS Home Cyber Protection offers coverage and services for computer attacks, cyber extortion, online fraud and personal information breaches involving smart phones, tablets, computers and other connected home devices.
“In today’s connected world, phones, computers and other networked devices are vulnerable to attack,” said Timothy Zeilman, HSB vice president. “The Internet of Things and smart home equipment increase that threat. Yet, until now there hasn’t been a comprehensive cyber insurance policy designed for consumers.”
The coverage includes:
- Computer Attacks. HSB will remove malware and reprogram computers, mobile devices, Wi-Fi routers and other access points.
- Home Systems Attack. All devices connected to the Internet, including mobile devices, thermostats, smart appliances and security and monitoring systems will be restored.
- Cyber Extortion. HSB provides professional assistance in the event of a ransomware attack and will pay ransoms, when approved.
- Data Breach. HSB offers forensic IT and legal reviews, as well as notification and recovery services when personal data is lost, stolen or published.
- Online Fraud. Any losses due to identity theft, phishing schemes, illegal bank and credit card transfers, forgery, counterfeit currency or other deceptions are covered.
HSB customers can add cyber protection to their existing homeowners’ or renters’ policies.