Gen Xers Stress More About Retirement Than Credit Card Debt

Gen Xers Stress More About Retirement Than Credit Card Debt

September 12, 2019         Written By Lynn Oldshue

Schwab Retirement Plan Services recently conducted a survey to see how financial burdens vary between generations. The research pinpointed a strong struggle among Generation X: whether to pay off credit card debt or save for retirement.

Gen X is comprised of adults between the ages of 39 and 54. The average age of retirement in America is currently 59.88 years old. However, increases in the cost of education may force many Americans to retire later than expected.

Featured Fair Credit Card

Top Features: All credit types welcome to apply!

The Schwab study revealed that 58% of Gen Xers are focused on their retirement savings, but the remaining 42% are worried about paying off credit card debt. When asked which factors have halted their retirement savings, Gen Xers cited unexpected home repairs as a top concern (38%). This was followed by credit card debt (31%), monthly bills (29%) and paying for their children’s education (21%).

With regards to stress, 40% of Gen Xers said saving for retirement was their biggest worry. Another 27% said credit card debt was their primary stress point, followed by paying monthly bills at 23%.

On average, Gen Xers contribute $9,499 per year to their 401(k) plans. This is roughly half of the 2019 IRS contribution limit of $19,000. Typically, $1 million is considered the ideal savings amount for retirement, but Gen Xers believe that $1.81 million is what’s necessary for a comfortable retirement lifestyle.

The information contained within this article was accurate as of September 12, 2019. For up-to-date information on any of the terms, cards or offers mentioned above, visit the issuer's website. Many of the offers on this article are from our affiliate partners, and LowCards.com may be compensated if you take action with any of our affiliate partners.

Review LowCards.com Editor’s Top Cards!

2020 Top Credit Cards by Category
Featured Fair Credit Card
Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Fair Credit Card
Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: All credit types welcome to apply!

Featured Low Interest Card
ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®
EDITOR RATING
Featured Low Interest Card
ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: No annual fee; $150 statement credit after spending $1,200 in first 90 days; 0% on Purchases for 12 months

Featured Bad Credit Card
First Digital NextGen Mastercard® Credit Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Bad Credit Card
First Digital NextGen Mastercard® Credit Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: Reports to all three credit bureaus, perfect credit not required for approval

Featured Good Credit Card
Petal® Visa® Credit Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Good Credit Card
Petal® Visa® Credit Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: No fees whatsoever. No late fee, international fee, annual fee, or any-other-kind-of-fee, fee


lynn-oldshue

About Lynn Oldshue

Lynn Oldshue has written personal finance stories for LowCards.com for twelve years. She majored in public relations at Mississippi State University.