What Credit Cards Won’t Cover
People use credit cards to purchase just about anything these days. While you may love earning the wonderful rewards associated with your card, you need to be aware of certain transactions that can’t be made on a credit card. Before you try to make one of the following purchases, you may need to have cash or some money in your checking account.
Here’s a look at what your credit cards won’t cover:
- Gambling: Most credit card companies block casino payments completely, including those used for online gambling.
- Internet pornography: Credit cards are not accepted on these sites.
- Lottery tickets: Some Visa and MasterCard cards will allow you to buy lottery tickets, but a significant number will not.
- Mortgage payments: Not all banks will block credit card payments, but a lot will in order to bypass the risk of nonpayment.
- Cars: This applies to both financing and straight purchases. You may only be able to pay for a small portion of your down payment with your card.
Keep some cash on hand or an adequate balance in your checking account whenever you need to make these purchases.
This entry was posted in Credit Card News and tagged credit cards , credit card rewards , credit card transactions , buying a car , lottery tickets , mortgage payments , online gambling , online pornography
The information contained within this article was accurate as of July 24, 2013. For up-to-date
information on any of the terms, cards or offers mentioned above, visit the issuer's website.