Big Retailers Find New Ways to Encourage In-Store Sales

Big Retailers Find New Ways to Encourage In-Store Sales

November 13, 2017         Written By John H. Oldshue

Online shopping—it’s convenient, affordable, fast, and effective. You can get the exact items you want with a few clicks of the keyboard, and everything arrives at your doorstep a few days later.

For big retailers though, ecommerce is a double-edged sword. It expands their customer base and lowers their overhead, but it doesn’t necessarily increase their profit margins. When shoppers are in stores, they are more likely to make impulse purchases and see items they may not have looked for on the website. They spend more money, take photos to share with their friends, and clear the shelves for more products in the future.

Retailers are taking unique steps to get people back in stores. Walmart has now changed the prices for some items on their website, offering lower prices in store than online. They say, “It simply costs less to sell some items in stores” and they “always work to offer the best price online relative to other sites.” Yet the added bonus of getting customers in the store to see other products may be the biggest driving force.

Retailers are also driving customers to their stores by processing returns for online purchases at physical locations. Some Kohl’s locations have begun processing returns for Amazon, and this month Walmart is launching a Mobile Express Returns program through their app. Customers can prepare returns for online orders through their phones and use an express lane in the store to complete the transaction.

Last year, almost 90% of consumers went to brick-and-mortar stores to return items purchased online. Even though the company is losing money at first glance, consumers often make a new purchase in the store that may be more expensive than the returned item.

With regards to the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend, 58% of retailers plan to make online shoppers their primary focus, while the remaining 42% are concentrating on in-store shoppers (RetailMeNot). Consumers plan to spend an average of $743 between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, a whopping 47% more than last year.

The information contained within this article was accurate as of November 13, 2017. For up-to-date information on any of the terms, cards or offers mentioned above, visit the issuer's website. Many of the offers on this article are from our affiliate partners, and LowCards.com may be compensated if you take action with any of our affiliate partners.

Review LowCards.com Editor’s Top Cards!

2020 Top Credit Cards by Category
Featured Fair Credit Card
Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Fair Credit Card
Reflex Mastercard® Credit Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: All credit types welcome to apply!

Featured Low Interest Card
ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®
EDITOR RATING
Featured Low Interest Card
ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: No annual fee; $150 statement credit after spending $1,200 in first 90 days; 0% on Purchases for 12 months

Featured Bad Credit Card
First Digital NextGen Mastercard® Credit Card
EDITOR RATING
Featured Bad Credit Card
First Digital NextGen Mastercard® Credit Card

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: Reports to all three credit bureaus, perfect credit not required for approval

Featured Bank Account
Unlimited Cash Back Bank Account by Green Dot
EDITOR RATING
Featured Bank Account
Unlimited Cash Back Bank Account by Green Dot

Applying for this card will securely direct you to the issuer's website.

Top Features: Unlimited Cash Back Rewards


john-oldshue

About John H. Oldshue

John Oldshue is the creator of LowCards.com. He worked for over 15 years in television and won an Emmy award for his reporting. He covers credit card rate issues for LowCards.com.