Apple Pay Awareness Much Higher Than Usage Rate

Apple Pay Awareness Much Higher Than Usage Rate

February 16, 2016         Written By Bill Hardekopf

Consumer awareness of Apple Pay remains high, but actual usage of the mobile wallet has hit a plateau, according to a new survey from First Annapolis Consulting. 73% of all consumers said they had heard of Apple Pay, but only 20% of iPhone 6 users said they had ever used it.

Awareness rates are a little higher among iPhone 6 users, with 84% reporting they have heard of Apple Pay. That number is slightly lower than last year’s rate of 88%. Adoption rates are slightly down as well–22% of iPhone 6 users said they had tried it in 2015.

Despite the fact that one in five iPhone 6 users have tried Apple Pay at least once, only 15% say they use it regularly or frequently. Users that report the highest frequency of usage had more than one card in their Apple mobile wallet. Accountholders have an average of 2.3 cards in their wallet according to the survey. 75% of those cards were prepaid, debit and credit cards, while the remaining 25% were retail or loyalty cards.

In general, mobile wallets have had a slightly slowed adoption rate in the United States, but those numbers are expected to increase over time with the availability of Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and other mobile wallets.

A study from KPMG and UBS released in August 2015 predicted the mobile banking industry will double in size in the next four years.



The information contained within this article was accurate as of February 16, 2016. For up-to-date
information on any of the terms, cards or offers mentioned above, visit the issuer's website.


bill-hardekopf

About Bill Hardekopf

Bill Hardekopf is the CEO of LowCards.com and covers the credit card industry from all perspectives. Bill has been involved with personal finance for over 15 years. He is a frequent contributor to Forbes, The Street and The Christian Science Monitor.
View all posts by Bill Hardekopf
Featured Low Interest Card
Top Features : 1.25X miles on every purchase; no annual fee; bonus of 20,000 miles once $1,000 is spent in first 3 months
Featured Cash Back Card
Top Features : No Annual Fee, Bonus Offer, Cash Back
Featured No Annual Fee Card
Top Features : Earn cash back twice. 1% when you buy plus 1% as you pay; 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers
Featured Bad Credit Card
Top Features : No Annual Fee; Cash Back match at the end of your first year; Social Security Alerts
Featured Fair Credit Card
Top Features : No annual fee; access to higher credit line after making first 5 monthly payments on time
Featured Limited/No Credit
Top Features : No annual fee; reports to major credit bureaus; access to higher credit line after making first 5 monthly payments on time